When it comes to the real estate market, it’s common knowledge that spring is the peak selling season. But, if you need to sell your home this fall, don’t be disheartened; it’s still possible to get a great price. Here are some things all buyers should know about selling your home in the fall.
What is the fall real estate market like?
The housing inventory tends to be lower in the fall than in the top-selling months of spring and summer. Fortunately, the buyers looking for homes after the summer rush is over tend to be more motivated and serious about finding a home. This is because many people want to find a home and close on it before the holidays. However, it’s crucial to note that if your home is located in a seller’s market, the time of year is much less significant.
What are some Pros and Cons of Selling Your Home in the Fall?
- People love spending time at home during the colder winter months. The seasonal atmosphere can make your home feel welcoming and warm to buyers.
- There are many serious buyers looking to buy and settle into a new home before the holiday season begins.
- Housing inventory is typically less during fall, so there’s less competition.
- It’s usually still light enough to enjoy weeknight showings in early fall, and the weather is pleasant enough to host weekend open houses.
- As it’s not peak selling season, there tend to be fewer buyers in the market.
- The busy holiday schedule often makes it challenging to coordinate showings.
- Bad weather can make showings difficult and diminish your home’s curb appeal.
Top Tips for selling your home during the fall real estate market
If you’re planning to sell your home this fall, here are some tips to help you sell as quickly as possible.
Put your home on the market ASAP.
The earlier in the fall season, the easier it is to sell your home. As the holidays get closer, many buyers and agents choose to travel or fill up their schedules. The sooner you list your home, the more likely you are to sell it.
Stage Your Home
Staging your home for the market is one of the best ways to ensure buyers have a positive showing experience. When listing during the fall season, be sure to take advantage of the cozy atmosphere by utilizing autumn decor and lighting your fireplace if you have one.
Professional real estate pictures help to highlight your home’s main selling points and capture buyer’s attention online. Early fall can make a beautiful backdrop for your listing photos before the weather becomes dark and dreary.
Hire a real estate agent
Real estate agents are knowledgable professionals who understand how to sell your home — regardless of the season. Be sure to hire an experienced agent who is familiar in your area in an off-peak season.
Price your property accurately.
The best way to sell your home at any time of the year is to price it realistically. One way to determine the value of your home is to use neighborhood comps to find out what other homes in your area are selling for. An effective pricing strategy can help you to achieve the best price possible.
If you’re considering listing your home this fall, don’t be deterred simply because it’s not peak selling season. Although there tend to be fewer buyers, there are also fewer sellers to compete with — putting you in a great position to bag a buyer. Even during the colder months, it’s possible to sell your home quickly and for a great price if you’re willing to be flexible and realistic.